Art Education, M.A.
This Master's degree program provides practicing teachers in art education access to a comprehensive interdisciplinary, historical, and contemporary orientation to the study and practice of art education. You will learn from professors who are effective teachers and successful artists, designers, and scholars with national and international reputations. This entirely online program utilizes pertinent inquiry and scholarship to empower current art educators to revitalize their practice.
Our Art Education M.A. program serves students across the nation. Offered online, it's accessible, flexible and workable to position our grads for the future.
Our Art Education M.A. program is offered 100% online. The flexible nature of this program allows our students to continue to work full time while continuing their education.
The 2021 recipients of the Art Educators of Iowa Outstanding Teaching Awards were all UNI graduates.
Find out More about Art Education
- Offered entirely online
- Learn from UNI faculty in the areas of Art Education, Art History and Studio Art
- Curriculum aligns with student activities in classroom experiences
- Includes courses addressing models of inquiry and practice that help to establish stronger links between theory and practice in art education
- Delivered on a cohort basis and completed in five consecutive semesters beginning with fall (six hours of credit each semester)
Courses are offered Wednesday evenings using a combination of Zoom, a desktop video conferencing system, and online via eLearning, a Blackboard learning management system, and individual instructor/student conferencing. Courses taught in the first year are designed to explore contemporary themes of art education in eight-week modules. Courses instructed in the second year will be delivered in sixteen-week modules to allow implementation of research and writing.
While most students encounter very few technical difficulties with our online courses, our team of support specialists is available to assist you as needed.
“I chose UNI because it was 100% online and I was able to keep my full-time teaching job while I was a full-time student.”
The 2021 recipients of the Art Educators of Iowa Outstanding Teaching Awards were ALL UNI graduates:
- Outstanding Iowa Elementary Art Educator: Hanna Thuesen of Southdale Elementary, Cedar Falls (UNI Art and Art Ed grad 2009 BFA and Art Ed)
- Outstanding Iowa Middle Level Art Educator: Katie Christensen of Denison Middle School in Denison (MA Art Education UNI 2021)
- Outstanding Iowa High School Art Educator: Kelli Gartman, K-12 art teacher at BGM Community School District (BA Art Ed 2015, MA Art Ed UNI 2021)
- Outstanding Iowa Art Educator: Amanda Olberding, K-5 art at Waukee (BA Art Ed and Elem Ed 2011, MA Art Ed 2021)