A celebration of Wright Hall and David Sands Wright was held last fall. Historical pictures and artifacts from the archives were on display, as were tools used throughout history in math education. Several lectures throughout the fall also focused on Wright and Wright Hall.
The Iowa General Assembly authorized the construction of the Vocational Building, now Wright Hall, in 1913. Construction began in 1915 and was completed in 1917 for $109,566. The building was renamed in 1957 to honor Wright, who taught math at the Iowa State Normal School from its founding in 1876 until 1916. Wright Hall was renovated in 1949-50 and 1990-91 and currently houses the Department of Mathematics.