Problem solving, critical thinking and the ability to interpret complex data. These are fundamental skills in any career – and in our daily lives. When you study mathematics, you’ll develop a strong foundation in these valuable skills, opening the door to a wide variety of career paths.
In the UNI Department of Mathematics, we have a long and rich history in mathematics education, a nationally-acclaimed actuarial science program and supportive professors who put students first.
Wherever your degree takes you – whether it’s teaching in a classroom or working for a Fortune 500 company – you’ll leave campus ready to make your mark on the world.
Get Involved, Make an Impact
Joining a student-led organization is a great way to get involved. You’ll meet people who share the same interests – building lifelong friendships – while gaining professional experience, and honing your leadership skills. Our department is home to four clubs, including: Math Club, TEAM, Actuarial Science Club and Kappa Mu Epsilon math honor society.
Through unique undergraduate research experiences, our students have the chance to take their learning beyond the classroom – solving real-world problems. Working side-by-side with professors, you’ll develop practical skills that set you apart from the crowd, and have the chance to publish your work for the world to see.
Gain professional experience and build your resume – all before you graduate. Our math students routinely intern with nationally-recognized companies, and our math education students gain hundreds of hours of classroom experience, making sure they’re well prepared for their future careers.
Nationally acclaimed actuarial science program
in the state for graduating future math teachers
Top program for online M.A. in math education
An education that stands out...
... so you can stand out, too.
- Small classes taught by expert professors who offer mentorship and personalized attention
- Opportunities to conduct research with your professors as an undergraduate
- Excellent facilities including multiple computer-based classrooms and laboratories, as well as the Mathematics Education Lab
- Specialized mathematics tutoring and opportunities for advanced students to become tutors and mentors
- Four active student clubs, featuring guest speakers, networking events and career support