Joining a student club or organization is a great way to get involved. You’ll meet people who share the same interests – building lifelong friendships – while gaining professional experience, and honing your leadership skills.
Our department is home to four student-led organizations, including: Math Club, TEAM, Actuarial Science Club and Kappa Mu Epsilon math honor society.
Student Organizations in the Math Department
Kappa Mu Epsilon
Kappa Mu Epsilon is a specialized honor society in mathematics. KME was founded in 1931 to promote the interest of mathematics among undergraduate students. The chapters' members are selected from students of mathematics and other closely related fields who have maintained standards of scholarship, have professional merit, and have attained academic distinction. Both men and women are eligible for membership.
The primary purposes of being a member of Kappa Mu Epsilon include the following:
- To further the interests of mathematics in those schools which place their primary emphasis on undergraduate programs;
- To help undergraduate students realize the important role that mathematics has played in the development of civilization;
- To develop and appreciation of the power and beauty possessed by mathematics, due, mainly, to its demand for logical and rigorous modes of thought;
- To provide a society for the recognition of outstanding achievement in the study of mathematics at the undergraduate level;
- To disseminate the knowledge of mathematics and familiarize its members with the current progress in this important area of human interest.
Actuarial Science Club
The UNI Actuarial Science Club plays an important role in the actuarial science program. Its main goal is to help interaction among students, practicing actuaries and other representatives of actuarial companies in order to facilitate summer internships and full-time positions.
Actuarial employers often visit the club, and recruit its members. Actuarial companies who frequently visit include national companies as: Allied Insurance, All State, American Family Insurance, AEGON, CIGNA, CUNA Mutual, Mutual of Omaha, Northwestern Mutual, Principal Financial Group and State Farm.
In addition to providing valuable information and opportunities for interaction from the career point of view, the Actuarial Club provides a forum for enhancing communication, leadership and social skills.
TEAM (Teaching Educators About Mathematics) is a student group which meets monthly to discuss topics of interest to preservice elementary and middle school education majors. Activities include: problem solving sessions led by students or professors, guest speakers including local teachers and administrators, seminars led by previous TEAM members who are currently teaching, trips to regional and national NCTM meetings, and mathematics materials displays and sales.
UNI's Math Club is a student organization for mathematics majors and lovers. The purpose is to provide UNI students opportunities to learn and pursue mathematics outside of class and gather to celebrate our love of mathematics. Events include monthly meetings with invited mathematical speakers, the UNI Integration Bee, celebrating pi day, field trips to math-related sites and game nights.