Your path to helping others begins here.

Students who major in communication sciences and disorders commonly say the same thing: they are passionate about helping others.

Our students use technology and rehabilitation techniques to diagnose and treat patients with speech, language, cognition, hearing, and swallowing disorders.

In your first years, you’ll learn about the origin and anatomy of communication disorders. Once you master the basics, you can choose an area of emphasis in either pre-speech language pathology or pre-audiology – focusing your upper level classes on an area you’re passionate about.

Ready to find out more?

What Sets our Program Apart?

Hands-on Experiences

Through the Roy Eblen Speech and Hearing Clinic, Scottish RiteCare Early Language Program, community placements, and internships, our students provide more than 18,000 hours of clinical services to individuals with communication and swallowing disorders each year – gaining invaluable real-world experience at the same time.

two people testing out some audiological equipment

Outstanding Faculty

Our students frequently cite the knowledgeable, caring and accessible faculty as one of the best aspects of their UNI experience.

All of our classes are taught by faculty, not graduate assistants, meaning you’ll work closely with faculty in integrated classroom and clinic-based instruction.

a professor working with some students

Undergraduate Research

Our faculty provide undergraduate and graduate students with research opportunities in nearly every area of the discipline through our E.A.R. Laboratory, Speech and Voice Science Laboratory, and Sertoma Research Laboratory.

a students conducting research in the lab
some students in class

Preparing You for Graduate School

To meet most state licensure and national certification standards, individuals who wish to work as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist must complete a graduate degree in their desired discipline. The undergraduate major in Communication Disorders is designed to provide the academic preparation and experiences required for admission into a graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology. Students may also elect to complete the coursework required for the Iowa Department of Education endorsement for educational audiologists or speech-language pathologists.