Scholarships for incoming freshmen:
Distinguished Scholar Award
- $1,000, $1500, $3000 or $3,500
- Renewable for four years with a college GPA of 2.5 or above
- Must be Iowa resident and new graduate from an Iowa high school
- $3500/yr., minimum high school 3.8 GPA and 29 ACT (SAT 1330).
- $3000/yr., minimum high school 3.5 GPA and 25 ACT (SAT 1200).
- $1500/yr., minimum high school 3.3 GPA and 23 ACT (SAT 1140).
- $1000/yr., minimum high school 3.5 GPA and 20-22 ACT (SAT 1030-1100).
Scholarships requiring an application:
Jourdan Scholarship For Excellence in Physics
- provides approximately $4,000 per year for 2 years to incoming physics students.
Butterworth Physics Scholarship
- provides $2,000 per year for one year to incoming physics students.
Jourdan Scholar-Mentor Physics Scholarship
- provides $3,000 per year for two years to incoming physics students.
Gayl and Kathy Hopkins Scholarship
- Starting in Fall 2022, there will be a new, four-year full-tuition scholarship available to incoming first-year students from high school. The Gayl and Kathy Hopkins Scholarship will be awarded to incoming first-year physics majors with outstanding academic records.
Dostal Physics Scholarship
- provides $1,500 per year for one year or two years to incoming physics students.
- provides approximately $1,300 per year for 2 years to incoming physics students.
- UNI Scholarship Application due January 15. Contact the Physics Department (215 Begeman, 319-273-2420) if you have questions. Make sure you check “Physics” on your online scholarship application—otherwise your application might not arrive at the Physics Department.
The awards are $4000 per year for 4 years ($16,000 total).
- ACT composite of 29 or above (SAT-CR&M of 1280 or above) and top 10% high school class rank
- or RAI of 335 or above
- January 15 - Applications must be submitted using the UNI Scholarship Application.
- February 1 - Finalists for Presidential Scholarships will be invited for a campus interview
- March 1 - Presidential Scholarships awards will be announced.
College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences Scholarships
College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences (CHAS) scholarships and awards are available to both incoming UNI students (first-year and transfer students) and current UNI student
- The Grossman-Perrine Scholarship honors Dr. J. O. Perrine, a former UNI physics professor, and Mr. Eugene Grossman, a physics student from Delmar, Iowa, who studied with Dr. Perrine. Declared undergraduate physics majors at all levels are eligible for this scholarship. For more information, contact the Physics Department (firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-273-2420).
Physics Alumni Scholarship
- The recipient of this $500-$1500 award must be a declared major in the Department of Physics who has achieved academic excellence in their major. Nominations and selection of the recipient are conducted by the Physics faculty in April.
Robert E. Allender Physics Teaching Scholarship ($1000 / 1 year)
- Open to students with a Physics Teaching major. Minimum of 30 credit hours in a declared teaching major. Apply by January 15 using the online UNIversity Scholarship Application.
Dorothy Muzzey Scholarship-Loan Program
- The recipient must be a declared major in Physics or Chemistry and must have completed 60 credit hours at UNI. The criteria for the award are: (i) financial need; (ii) scholarly achievement; and (iii) potential for success in the major field. The maximum amount available is $1,500 with an interest rate of 5%. Repayment begins 90 days after graduation.