A certificate in sustainability can be tailored to your unique interests and needs
Sustainability is an interdisciplinary certificate that involves a wide selection of topics that address how to promote human prosperity while protecting the planet. Because it’s interdisciplinary, you can take courses in four university colleges, including the College of Humanities, Arts & Sciences, College of Business, College of Education and the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences.
Growth in job postings
On LinkedIn according to GreenBiz (2020).
Less than 5% of business degree-granting schools worldwide have earned AACSB accreditation.
According to PayScale for a Sustainability Manager (2021).
Find out More About Sustainability
Looking to find out more about a Sustainability certificate from the University of Northern Iowa?
Fill out the form to the right, or contact Chad Heinzel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Careers With a Sustainability Focus
Individuals passionate about the environment and decreasing the use of scarce resources should consider adding a sustainability certificate to their academic program. From accounting to finance, marketing to economics, and everything in between, adding a sustainability focus will help you lead projects that lower the cost of doing business and improve our environment. You can make a difference in the world. Some of these careers include:
- Sustainability Project Manager
- Environmental Accountant
- Environmental Economist
- Sustainability Consultant
- Sustainable Investing Analyst
- Supply Chain Risk & Sustainability Associate
- Director of Corporate Social Responsibility
- Supply Chain Manager, Sustainability and Energy
- Director of Sustainable Manufacturing Innovation
- Resources Policy Advocate
The Sustainability certificate framework consists of a progression of classes with one required course. The remaining courses are elective and can be tailored to meet your unique interests. A professional academic advisor can help you select the course options that fit your career goals.
- Introduction to Sustainability
- Evolution, Ecology and the Nature of Science
- Conservation Biology
- Introduction to Geology
- Environmental Health Science
- Environmental Economics
- Global Strategic Supply Management
- Rhetoric, Science, and Community Engagement
- Environmental Ethics
Steps Needed for Earning the Certificate in Sustainability
- Sign up in your department using the ‘Declaration of Curriculum’ form to ADD the Program Certificate: Sustainability
- Take 1 Required + 4 Electives (must pick from at least 3 Content Streams) using your College Advisor’s guidance
- Write a summary reflection using the format that will be emailed to you by the Certificate Coordinator Prof. Chad Heinzel
- Submit list of courses taken and grades achieved along with Final Reflection to Prof. Heinzel
Sustainability is an evolving field of study. With each new advancement in the area, our course offerings must also evolve to keep up with changes and advancements! Download your certificate requirements for the most up-to-date information on our sustainability course offerings.