Friday, Nov. 4.
Save the date for Fast Forward Digital Media Workshop 2022. Registration will be active soon!
Our keynote speakers will be creators of the newly released film Kinnick: The Documentary.
We will have a full schedule of morning sessions on Friday, Nov. 4 with leading media experts from across the Midwest:
8:30 - 8:50 Arrival: Muffins, Juice, and Coffee
9:00 – 9:50: Welcome and Keynote Speakers
- Speakers: Creators of Kinnick: The Documentary (2022)
10:00-10:50 Session 1
- Covering the News for Media Outlets
- Capturing and Editing Creative Content
- Kelsey Hammer Parks, Emmy Award-winning creator at Kelsey Hammer Productions
- Andy Saigh, digital media creator, University of Northern Iowa
- Ryan Schmidt, digital media creator, Around the Corner Productions
11:00 – 11:50 Session 2
- How to Improve On-Air Skills
- Nicole Agee, Emmy Award-winning anchor and reporter, KCRG-TV
- Brad Wells, announcer for ESPN, NBC Chicago, Iowa PBS, and FloHoops
- Producing Live Multi-Camera Broadcasts
- Matt Miller, lead animator and 3D designer, Moxie
- Eric Benson, director, Law and Crime TV Network
- Michael Rueber, engineer for ESPN+ productions, University of Northern Iowa
12 noon- 12:50 Lunch (Free Vouchers for Dining at Maucker Union)
1:00-1:50 Session 3
- Sports Media Coverage
- Chelsie Brown, assistant sports director, sports anchor and reporter, KCRG-TV
- Owen Siebring, sports anchor and reporter, KGAN-TV
- Mark Simpson, sports radio show host and announcer, KCNZ-The Fan
- Creating Long-Format Media (Shows, Documentaries and Films)
- Michael Minard, award-winning filmmaker
- Tyler Brinegar, producer and director, Iowa PBS
2:00-2:50 Session 4
- Drones and New Technology
- Zach Everman, founder of Pixel Labs
- Ben Stineman, builder and operator of various drones
The Fast Forward Digital Media Workshop is free to participants, with lunch provided. This annual event is sponsored by the UNI Department of Communication and Media, with the generous support of the Iowa Broadcasters Association Foundation.
Pre-Workshop Bonus on Thursday, Nov. 3, at 7 p.m., Lang Hall Auditorium, UNI
Experience the Northeast Iowa premiere of Kinnick: The Documentary. The film tells the story of Nile Kinnick – child of the Depression, winner of the Heisman Trophy, and pilot in WW2. The story reveals what pushed a young man from Adel, Iowa to ascend to the realm of legend in the minds of sports fans across the nation. Free screening, open to the public.
There will be a Q&A with the creators following the film.
Space is limited. Register now for the 2022 Fast Forward Media Workshop at UNI on Nov. 4!
We hope you can be with us the entire day. It is possible to register for one, a few, or all four sessions. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Fast Forward 2022 Registration
Sponsors and Planning Committee
Thanks to the generosity of the Iowa Broadcasters Association and the IBA Foundation for sponsoring this event.
Thanks to our Fast Forward planning committee & UNI Communication and Media:
- Eric Braley, Instructor, Digital Media Leadership, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Anelia Dimitrova, Digital Journalism, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. John Fritch, Dean, College of Humanities, Arts & Sciences, UNI
- Professor Phillip Hopper, Digital Media Production, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Christopher Martin, Digital Journalism, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Ryan McGeough, Head, Communication and Media, UNI
- Michael Rueber, Broadcast Engineer, Communication and Media, UNI
- Professor Francesca Soans, Digital Media Production, Communication and Media, UNI