Friday, Oct. 27, 2023
We have a full schedule of morning and afternoon sessions on Friday, Oct. 27 with 22 leading media experts from across the Midwest.
Arrive in the north entrance of Lang Hall (off of 23rd St.) to the ground floor lobby to pick up registration materials.
The Fast Forward Digital Media Workshop is free to participants, with lunch provided. This annual event is sponsored by the UNI Department of Communication and Media, with the generous support of the Iowa Broadcasters Association Foundation.
8:15 - 8:45 Arrival: Muffins, Juice, and Coffee
8:45 - 9:00 Special Session: The UNI Department of Communication and Media Hall of Fame Awards
9:00 - 9:50 Welcome and Keynote Speaker. World-class videographer Ben Hagarty has worked with major recording artists like Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Chris Brown and Alicia Keys.
10:00 - 10:50
Session 1A: What are media executives looking for in new hires? [Jon Huff, Andrew Altenbern, Julie Hein, Nicole Carros]
Session 1B: Making a college radio cult: 20th anniversary of KULT, 94.5 LPFM [Pat Blank, Mason Fromm, Tony Dehner, Christopher Martin, Jason Voyna]
11:00 - 11:50
Session 2A: Social media: Creating high impact promotion [Amy Mertz, Madison Foley, Olivia Hottle-Mossman]
Session 2B: Cinematography: Getting the best shots [Devin Harschnek, Aaron Van Maanen, Bruce James Bales]
Session 2C: Animation: Capturing imagination in moving images [Dana Potter, Isaac Campbell]
12 noon - 12:50 Lunch
(Free Vouchers for Dining at Maucker Union)
1:00 - 1:50
Session 3A: Talking sports media from every angle of the business [Joel Wauters, Dan Corbin, Emma Criswell, Chris Kleinhans-Schulz]
Session 3B: The best: Showcasing award-winning TV news stories [Nicole Carros, Andrew Altenbern]
Sponsors and Planning Committee
Thanks to the generosity of the Iowa Broadcasters Association and the IBA Foundation for sponsoring this event.
Thanks to our Fast Forward planning committee & UNI Communication and Media:
- Eric Braley, Instructor, Digital Media/Leadership, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Anelia Dimitrova, Digital Media/Journalism, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. John Fritch, Dean, College of Humanities, Arts & Sciences, UNI
- Professor Phillip Hopper, Digital Media/Production, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Christopher Martin, Digital Media/Journalism, Communication and Media, UNI
- Dr. Ryan McGeough, Head, Communication and Media, UNI
- Michael Rueber, Broadcast Engineer, Communication and Media, UNI
- Professor Francesca Soans, Digital Media/Production, Communication and Media, UNI